Thursday, April 1, 2010

Language barrier

I went downstairs to see if Jimmy D was ready for bed, and he is busy trying to hack our new GPS. That reminded me of how the Britishy Folks call their GPS a "SatNav". So, while Jimmy D continues trying to beat the system, I'll make a post about how to speak British...y. I'll put a link to this post over there --------> on the sidebar where you can check out any updates as I learn or remember new translations for you. These will be ones we actually hear people use, not ones we found online and assume are really used. American will be first, listed in RED. Britishy will be second, listed in BLUE. I'll also list times when a synonym of a word we use is more commonly used over in British-land.



  • GPS is a SatNav. Example: I turned into the river because my SatNav told me to.
  • odds and ends are bits and bobs. Example: You have storage here for all your bits and bobs.
  • a closet is a fitted wardrobe. Example: You are very lucky indeed to have a home with fitted wardrobes, aren't you!
  • hard is replaced with difficult. Example: It is difficult to not get hit by a bus at a double roundabout.
  • restroom is replaced with toilet. Example: Excuse me, where might I find the ladies' toilets?
  • Take-out is called takeaway. Example: I'll have that toastie for takeaway, please. *Note- if you order your food at a restaurant to eat-in, you are charged VAT (value-added tax). You are not charged this if you order your food for takeaway.
  • A hot or grilled sandwich is a toastie. Example: I would like a refund- I've found a hair in my toastie.
  • Elementary school (ages 4-11) is called primary school. Example: My child couldn't get a spot in that oversubscribed primary school.
  • Keds-type-shoes are plimsolls. Example: Might I have these pirate plimsolls, Mum?
  • A line is a queue. Example: I waited in the queue for hours before it was my turn for the toilets.
  • An underground parking garage or parking lot is called a car park. Example: our people carrier nicked some mirrors in the car park.
  • A minivan is called a people carrier. Example: I look super-cool driving down the road in my people carrier.
  • Stopping by is called popping in, or pop on over, etc. Example: If you'll just pop back in later, we can give you some forms to fill out.
  • The ER (Emergency Room) is called the A & E (Accident and Emergency). Example: If you should happen to lose an appendage of some kind, just pop on over to the A & E and they'll see to it.
  • A vacation is called a holiday. Example: What are we going to do to fill the time during half-term holiday?!
  • Asking your name is replaced with asking what you are called. Example: What is your younger boy called? No, not the one with the pirate hat, the one with the ketchup moustache.
  • Miracle Whip is salad cream. Example: With its tangy zip and a third less fat than mayonaise, a sandwich isn't a sandwich without Salad Cream.
I can't for the life of me get the colors to work today, so just know American words listed first, followed by Britishy translations.
  • Cell Phone is Mobile (say it Mow-bile). Example: Could you text me on my new mobile number the name of the shop where you discovered they sell Miracle Whip?
  • Pants are trousers. Very important distinction, just ask my kids. Example: Those are exceptionally tight trousers you're wearing! No... they don't make you look any less manly...
  • Underwear is Pants for Boys, Knickers for girls. (Do you see why the above word replacement is important? It could get awkward if you said "pants" instead of "trousers in the above example, eh?) Example: Mum, I haven't got any clean pants to wear, and no, I won't just turn these inside out, I've got P.E. today!!!
  • Jar is Pot. Sometimes. Example: My daughter has eaten about half the pot of Calamine Cream.
  • Truck is Lorry. Example: Getting stuck behind a lorry in the construction on the M 25 is rotten.

5 comments:

Please Pass the Green said...

Ha ha ha! I can't wait to talk to ya'll in a year and hear "plimsolls" and "bits and bobs" come out of your mouth. Seems to me like you better start studying your flash cards so you don't make a boo-boo, like saying you have a bloody nose or instead of a nose bleed.:)

Phyllis said...

Eh he he he heeee. Bloody nose...

Well That's a Good Scottish Name... said...

And the list continues....
Quid - aka a GBP. Ex. "The TV cost 4 quid."
Fringe - aka Hair Bangs. Ex "Please cut a little bit off of my fringe."
Oh and so many more phrases will make you laugh every time you hear them....

Vee said...

I thought I'd check in the "continually updated" post(HA! obviously continually also means something else in britland), and I seemed to be confused by Good Scottish Name's explanation of a quid. You must have been in britland long enough not to notice we gringos need a GBP to be explained, also...Great Britain Pound? Just guessing. If I'm correct to I get a free treakle tart with warm custard please?!!

Phyllis said...

My own mom isn't supposed to be so bitter at me! I guess I'll see it as a sign of love, and also I'll update this post. You'll have to come back here for your treacle tart.