Okay, sorry, but the event merited the singing.
We made it!
One 4 hr flight, one 2 hr layover, another 8 hr flight, a shuttle to the rental car place, and a 1 1/2 hr drive later, we made it to our house in England! Yay!!!
The flight was actually better than I thought it would be. We only had one major meltdown from a kid (Stinker didn't want to take his Dramamine because "it tastes bad", so he screamed, we threatened, and after everyone at the gate was staring at the parents forcing drugs into their child, he relented.). All three kids slept soundly through the overnight flight. We found a car large enough to transport our crazy large amounts of luggage. (A "people carrier", actually.) Our beloved SatNav got us smoothly to our house. There's a video of our SatNav/people carrier adventure on my Facebook page*.
I LOVE our house. I can't wait until our things get here to set it all up. I think we really got lucky getting it at the price we did- it is amazing. I was prepared for a tiny place with no closets, but this house is big and abounding with fitted wardrobes. (I would have usually said it has a plethora of closets, but "abounding with fitted wardrobes" sounds more British-y.)
Our first grocery shopping trip was... interesting. It didn't start well- we were barely off our nearly 24 hr. traveling adventure, so that was fun to start with. We went to the center of our town, to the shopping center, to see if we could get a phone, but the shops all close early. The shopping center was right next to a Tesco, so we decided to stay there and get some basics for our empty pantry. Outside I had to wait a minute and watch someone else to figure out how to get a cart. They were all chained together with locks on each one. Apparently, you put a one pound coin into a slot, the chain comes unlinked, and you shop. When you return the cart, your coin pops back out for you to take. I don't know if all grocery stores are like that, it might have just been this place. Inside was pretty normal- we found the essentials, but then at the register you bag your own groceries, but I guess everyone usually brings their own bags. The clerk gave us a stack of plastic ones to use, but they weren't on a stand, so we took a long time trying to get them open and unstuck. They are very thin, so I snagged a few extra for when our things inevitably broke through. Outside, Jimmy D had to take a few trips to the car. We were parked across the street in a car park. I'm pretty sure that while he was gone, Sunshine and I watched a drug deal. I'm think we'll find another place to shop next time. At least one with a parking lot outside and no drug dealers.
(Our town is very nice, we just found the most interesting place in it to go for groceries, I think.)
Well, folks, more to come later. Just wanted to let you know we're here, we made it, and everything is going well!
* Any pictures or videos that are too specific on who we are and where we live will be on my facebook page. That way I can leave my blog public. I mean, we're not that sneaky, but then at least I feel like I'm trying.

4 comments:
thanks for the update. I enjoy hearing!
Jolly good! (Is that British?) I'm so happy you made it! I'm beyond amazed. And I remember how long that first day was trying to adjust to the time change, so way to actually go shopping and be productive. Can't wait to hear more of your adventures.
Wooohooo! Glad u made it! Sounds like the house has plenty enough room for me to stay when I come visit!!! :)
South Korean grocery stores have the same lockdown on their carts - so it might be an "everywhere but in the US" thing. :) Somehow you adjust to all the oddities of being in a foreign world. I love reading your blog! I almost called bishops in GA for our upcoming move but chose to just "ward shop" during our trip out to find a place. I felt kind of silly eliminating potential places because they weren't in the ward we liked.... Good luck and keep the funnies coming!
Post a Comment