Tuesday, June 15, 2010

OUR STUFF IS HERE!!!!!
WOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOO!!!!

I would have made the font even bigger, but that's as big as it would let me go. So... I am blogging to you from MY COMPUTER!! (Not the one lost on the airplane, we've written that off as lost forever.) I should be unpacking more, but I thought I'd take a minute to share the joyous times with you. The moving truck was here first thing Friday morning, and it was like Christmas, but better since we knew we would like everything we opened. Ahhhhh. The house is in utter chaos right now, but it is a comforting chaos. I was starting to feel like a pioneer there before it all came. I mean, yes, I had running water and electricity and whatnot, but at least pioneers had cooking utensils and mattresses. I'm just sayin'.

Everything we own is out of place and scattered throughout the house, but I'm just so happy to see it that I don't really care. The kids are the same way. I unpacked about half of they boys' room, and after Stinker saw it he came running downstairs to hug me and said, "It's perfect, mom!" I explained that I still had more to do before it was all unpacked, and he said, "No mom, it's perfect," and ran back up to play.

A lot of our furniture came to us still flat-packed in Ikea boxes. We decided what new things we would need, and then bought them in the U.S. and had them shipped with our things. It seemed like a good plan at the time, but there is only so much allen-wrench and wooden-peg assembly you can do in one week before you start to go insane. As I was trying to force the wooden pegs to go where the diagram said they belonged, I started to wonder why no-one has ever just gone off the deep end after all the assembly and decided to attack Ikea. Then I realized maybe they had, but once they got there and smelled meatballs, they decided to stop in for lunch first, and then bomb the place or whatever they were planning. So they headed up to the restaurant, and as they wandered through the maze of brightly colored and low priced furniture, they noticed a chest of drawers to match the bed frame and wardrobe they had just assembled. They faltered for a moment, and then carried on, only to run across the perfect storage solution for their home office. They glanced down at their blistered fingers, and then back at the home office storage, and then their stomachs growled as the smell of meatballs wafted down the showroom, and it was all over. So, with stomachs full of meatballs and a carload full of boxes, they drove back home to repeat the cycle once more.

Well. I am clearly off subject, and I have things to do, so lets call that good for now. More later. Really, since I can blog on MY COMPUTER!!! Awesome.

5 comments:

theferrisoneofall said...

Yay! I am glad you got your stuff. However, I really, really liked your old school bloggin'! :)

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! When I went to England (10 years ago now) I vowed to someday live there. Marriage and kids happened and I am still in the same podunk town and itchy to set off in the world. My kids also want to move to a far away land and vaccillate between begging to move to Hawaii and England (they believe every castle we see in photos may indeed be Hogwarts) For now we will live vicariously through you- knowing the reality of the ups and downs, joys and frustrations of what it is to make such a major life change with a family! Until we have a fabulous opportunity to uproot I thank you for your humor, honesty and photos of London!

Vee said...

I can tell you are back to your usual storytelling self! The IKEA saga is so true. There was a debate going on with a friend on facebook about IKEA meatballs...with/without lingnengerberry sauce and how delicious they are either way. (You may say Ither but I say Ether) It sounds like Stinker has become Brittishy already using the word 'perfect'. Has he called you Mum yet?

Phyllis said...

Thanks Amy and Fairy!
No, I haven't been called Mum yet, but the other day he called his brother a "naughty, naughty boy". He also calls the playground a play yard, and the jungle gym a climbing frame.

Erin said...

I am so happy for you. I completely understand the feeling. When our bed came, it was the first thing I set up and I just laid there for a while, appreciating finally having a bed. We miss your family so much and always wish we could have bbq's, but it's just not meant to be for a while. Have fun getting your house together!