Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Quiz Night, Expat Edition

Not the cool pub kind. Even cooler.

I thought it might be useful to have some Q & A from real-life expats living here in Britland. I'm hoping to make a set list of questions and post answers from a different expat each month.

I've got a lot of questions I remember staying up at night thinking about before our move, and I think I broke the internet with all my millions of Britishy searches. I'll add my own questions to the list, but also want to hear from you!

So, here's the pre-quiz quiz:
What have you potential expats been Googling in hopes of insider information? What worries about your move have been keeping you up at night? What do you need to know to help you make all those life-changing decisions about your future in a country you might not have even been to yet?

Leave your questions in the comments for this post, and I'll try to include them in the quiz. If no-one has any real questions, I'll try my best to make a Q & A list of actual, useful questions, but I can't promise it won't just end up as a random list of insanity. That's just how my brain works, people!


5 comments:

Vee said...

Where can I find all-american hot dogs in England? I assume they don't sell them at the food court at Costco, so what do they sell there instead?

Aglsfy Tumor said...

If I were moving to Britland (crossing fingers) here would be my initial questions:
1. Do I need to change my driver's license to a UK one? If so, where do I go and how long does it take? I would assume the British DMV workers would be more enjoyable than our US ones.
2. What are the tax/insurance/health care situations? I know you went over the health care stuff already, though.
3. Can I keep my US bank account or do I need to switch to a UK bank? And would that UK bank be the place I would get my credit/debit card with the shnazzy electronic chip in it they always ask for?
4. How do I get my hands on a decent car without being swindled?
5. Where are the shady parts of town/what key words should I be on the look-out for when reviewing neighborhoods on my extensive google searches?
6. How long should I wait before adopting a stylish British accent?

And finally:
7. How do I get tickets to be in the Top Gear audience?

-cheers-

Vee said...

Hey, Phyllis. What's the deal, Miss Expert Expat? You wanted questions and we gave them to ya. Granted Aglsfy's might be more useful to people, but mine are worth answer, too.

I know, I know...busy, little kids, removal of uterus, blah blah blah. Just wait til the Queen hears about this!

Phyllis said...

Don't tell the queen!

I need to make a quiz, and then I'll have someone different answer the questions every so often. It might take a week or so to see the first round of answers. Until then, go back to the singing guy video.

Vee said...

AAaaahhhh!!! I forgot about the singing guy video! Lalalala lala la lala laaaa. Hohohoho ho hoho ho hahahaaaa. I feel better already. 8D