Friday, July 9, 2010

Ho-li-day (say it like in the Weezer song)

Let's go away! Let's go away! On a ho-li-day!

I'm done singing now.

The boys get their summer holiday soon, and since it only lasts about 6 weeks, we already set aside a week for a long "holiday", and a long weekend for a short one. Now we just have to decide where to go! We need some places that both the kids and adults will enjoy and that are relatively easy to travel to, whether by train, car, or cheap plane tickets.

I've been checking out some Rick Steves info on destinations, and asking around to see where other people have gone. Personally, I'm more of a chillin' vacation type. Not so much the crazy-whirlwind-see-it-all-theme-parkin'-all-week kind. Those kinds make me tired to even think about trying with kids. Here's some places we are interested in:

Southern England: Stonehenge, Bath, Leeds Castle

Northern England: nature and villages and stuff. Lots of walks and hiking and things. Maybe better in the spring/fall for a half-term vacation.

Scotland: Edinburgh, castles, kilts, the whole shabang.

Rome: I've already decided this one is a no-kids trip.

The Netherlands: Don't know too much about them, errr, it....? but people we know have been there and loved it. There is a theme park there I've heard is great... even if the pictures on the website look a bit creepy. Isn't that where there's a lot of windmills and maybe wooden shoes and whatnot? (Man, I'm just so cultured it hurts!)

Germany/Switzerland/Austria: My dad will want to go there when he visits, he served his mission for our church there... a long long time ago. Jimmy D's grampa is from Germany, so his parents will want to go there when they visit, too. So, not this summer then.

Spain: It sound cool, and JimmyD speaks Spanish.. Ooo, and flan. About all we have to say, but good enough for me.

There's probably more- I didn't even mention Paris... I'm kind of "meh" about going there.

So, there you have the greatest dilemma facing us right now. Where to "holiday" in Europe. Life's rough, isn't it? ; )

6 comments:

Molly said...

My vote is Scotland. I could see your boys loving that. Btw, I've loved these daily posts.

Blogging question: How do you highlight something as a link in your text?

love ya!~

p.s. need your address so I can send a Happy Friendship Day package

Shawn, Ashlee and Addison said...

I would totally choose Scotland out of all of those! That has always been somewhere i would like to go!!! Not to say that those other spots won't be fun, just that Scotland would be at the top for me! What a fun adventure you guys are on!

Tiffany said...

I'm with the others, B & I have been jonesing for a trip to Scotland for ages. We think it would be fun to explore the Clyde Valley... see where B's family's from. My cousin studied abroad in Glasgow & knows Scotland well, if you want I can give you her contact info for some tips. :)

Although, I love, love, love Spain too! Hmmmmmmmm, decisions, decisions...

Juber Family said...

Geesh, I wish I had your dilemma. What cool places to go in Europe, instead of shall we go to the zoo or the dinosaur museum, LAME! I'm not bitter at all;) All of them sound cool to me! Let me know if you decide on the Netherlands because Matt's little bro went on his mission there and he could give you some pointers.

Phyllis said...

I think Scotland may win this year. I'll take pictures of JimmyD in a kilt for all of you...

Molls- you highlight the section you want as a link, and then on the toolbar there is a thing that looks like a chain-link. Click it, and then delete the https part in the place to type your link, and paste the address (uhhh, go to the link site and copy the url first).

Vee said...

I'm baaaack! Now my comments should be safe, so I'll post my thoughts. I'm not sure how fun the Netherlands would be right about now. They may still be mourning. I'm still voting for the seaside.