Okay, so I will not add "Step In Time" after each blog title, but that is what you should mentally add, because it is what chimney sweeps do, and you should always follow the example of chimney-sweeps with such vocal and rhythmic capabilities.
So, now,
On March 18th we are going on a house-hunting trip to London. There are several suburb-y areas I am interested in, but I think I've learned about all you can learn from the internet about these places. In light of this, I thought it might be a good idea to call some British Folks.
I was looking for someone from my church to contact. For those who are not familiar with being Mormon, it's kind of like you know people all over the world, all you have to do is introduce yourself and say you want to move into their ward. (Congregation.) I was hoping for a specific number for the Bishop or at least for a person, but wound up getting only meetinghouse numbers from the church website. This usually equates to a phone in the hall at the church, and could be answered by an adult, a child, a wandering hobo, etc. So...
After calling the number, realizing I probably needed some kind of country code, getting it, trying again, realizing I probably needed some kind of international calling plan enabled on my phone, getting that, calling again, realizing I had to drop the first "0" from the number, and then calling again a few times, I got through to a meetinghouse. Yay! I ended up getting through to a few meetinghouses and getting numbers for helpful ward members. I have to say, British people are incredibly supernaturally polite from what I can tell so far. That is very convenient if you are the random American calling strangers for information. Even the Young Woman's age girl who answered in one of the meetinghouses was so polite that I couldn't tell if she was an adult or not until she (politely) asked "Would it perhaps be helpful if I went and got one of my Young Women leaders for you?" I'm pretty sure if they call an American meetinghouse it would be more like "Uhh, are you really British? Say something from Monty Python." (That's what I would say at least...) Also, I knew they would have British accents, but it still made me want to giggle a little bit while they talked. Don't worry, I didn't.
All in all, randomly calling hallway phones of British meetinghouses was a useful and fun experience. I am excitied to meet some of my polite British phone friends when we go to visit
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
That's so exciting Dana or ummm..... Phyllis. Anyways, I hope that you guys have a great time. I'm sure it will be an incredible experience!
Phyliss~ you crack me up! I literally am laughing out loud. This blog is a great idea and will definitely be on my daily "to-do" list.
I AM CERTAINLY A FOLLOWER AKA STALKER :)
Post a Comment